Andrew Smith graduated from high school in 1950 and joined the Navy. After the end of the Korean Conflict he began his study in Architecture at Georgia Tech and received his BArch in 1961.
While he was in college he became the pastor of a small rural church just north of Atlanta called Dunwoody Baptist. He led the church to make several important and far reaching decisions.
Contrary to the expectations of the day, he did not feel a call to the professional ministry and began his career in Architecture in 1961. His architectural practice has produced many types of buildings in over twenty states. He now serves as an associate principal with Self Tucker Architects in Memphis, Tennessee.
He married Mary Jo Mynatt in 1953. They have three children, three grandchildren and four great grand children.
They have been members of Second Baptist Church in Memphis since 1968.