ANDREW L. SMITH graduated from high school in 1950 and then joined the US Navy in 1951. He then started his study in architecture at Georgia Institute of Technology and received his BArch in 1960.
While he was in college he served as the pastor of a small rural church just north of Atlanta called Dunwoody Baptist. His four years as a pastor were in many ways successful, and he led the congregation to make important and far-reaching decisions.
Contrary to the expectations of the day, he did not feel a call to the professional ministry and began his career in architecture in 1961. In the ensuing fifty-one years, he has designed many types of buildings in over twenty states. He now serves as an associate principal in Self Tucker Architects in Memphis, Tennessee.
He has been married to Mary Jo Mynatt for fifty-nine years. They have been members of Second Baptist Church in Memphis for forty-five years, where he has served in many ways. They have a daughter, two sons, and three grandchildren.